Sunday 22 December 2013

Desklove

I love my desk.
My small space where I can do anything.
Dark wood that looks sometimes rich as chocolate
Sometimes black as ink
Sometimes simply a surface, pitted and battered
Scarred by use.
Like it’s alive under me.
The brown runs to worn coffee-foam hazel in one zone.
In another a past user has madly scratched
a tangle of scribbles.
There are chips and deep gashes where the inner wood shows through –
Almost the colour of skin.
This desk has felt pain.
It is narrow, it doesn’t hold much
But what it does hold is precious
Because it is mine now.
Its legs are thin but sturdy.
I am transfixed by its colour  
So much so that I sometimes write shit like this:
A love poem for a hunk of wood.                               
This is the first time love has been simple

Maybe it’s mine forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment